Faith Formation - K-8
Students in K-8 enjoy the following faith formation programs:
Weekly Chapel – Wednesday afternoon chapel is a highlight for both students and staff. At chapel, students look forward to sitting with their Middle School chapel buddy, singing, hearing a short Biblical message and joining together in corporate prayer. Seasonal celebrations include Blessing of the Animals, See You at the Pole, Advent/Christmas, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, Lent, Holy Week/Easter and Pentecost.
Family Chapel - Once a month, families are invited to join their student for worship and a celebration of the Holy Eucharist, also known as Holy Communion. A time of parent fellowship is offered before and after the service, with coffee and light refreshments provided by the Daughters of the King group. Family Chapel is led by pastors from The Church of the Cross.
Daily Bible Application – Each class opens the day with pledges, devotions and prayer. Kindergarten through 4th grade teachers use the Biblical Choices for a New Generation curriculum (Standard/David C. Cook Publishing) and focus on the Old Testament for the first half of the year and the New Testament in the second half. Middle School teachers integrate Scripture into all of their class subjects as they seek to apply Biblical truth to all academic knowledge.
Weekly Catechesis Class
- Kindergarten through 4th grade: In addition to in-class Bible instruction, Kindergarten through 4th grade students attend weekly Catechesis, which is offered as an enrichment class. The word catechesis comes from the Greek language and means the “re-echoing down to another.” This provides an education not only in Scripture, but also in the faith, history, seasons and traditions of the Church as a whole, and provides time to reinforce and discuss the week's chapel lesson.
- Middle School (5th through 8th grades): Our older students attend a Catechesis class twice a week which uses the following curriculum:
5th grade- Route 66: Through the Bible from Positive Action for Christ (Year A) - Old Testament Survey
6th grade- Route 66: Through the Bible From Positive Action for Christ (Year B) - New Testament Survey
7th and 8th grades - Your Word is Truth From Children Desiring God. This class is currently divided into a girls or guys only class as the main focus is to teach students how to apply Scripture to real life.
Special Events and Celebrations – Throughout each year, students and families have the opportunity to participate in a variety of special projects and events. Some of our favorites include:
- See You at the Pole Day
- Ash Wednesday and National Day of Prayer services
- Youth Confirmation classes offered by The Church of the Cross
- Service Trips to the Food Bank (grades 3-8)
- Making placemats for Prison Ministry
- The Blessing of the Animals service to honor the Feast Day of St. Francis
- Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Drive
- Summer Vacation Bible School
- Church Youth Group and Fall MONDO Retreat to Camp St. Christopher (grades 6-8)
- Bible-based classes offered by The Church of the Cross, such as Biblical Parenting 101 and Bible Studies for moms and dads